Crunchy, delicious Thanksgiving appetizers made with real pumpkin and no pumpkin pie spice! Need more ideas? Keep reading and you'll find a list of Thanksgiving appetizers.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced small
- 1 ½ tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1-15oz can pumpkin puree (100% pumpkin)
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp ginger powder
- ¼ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp Aleppo Pepper or Hot Red pepper flakes (optional)
- 18 spring roll wrappers ( not eggroll wrappers)
- ¼ cup avocado oil, sunflower oil, or other vegetable oil
Dipping sauce (makes 2 ¼ cups)
- 1 ½ cups plain fat-free greek yogurt or plain unsweetened plant-based yogurt
- 1 cup chopped cilantro
- ¾ cup chopped parsley
- 4 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice or lemon juice
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp honey mustard
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
To make the Pumpkin Triangles:
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large skillet, sauté the diced onion in 2 tablespoons of olive oil at medium heat for 5-7 minutes. Add maple syrup and balsamic vinegar and cook for an additional 3-5 minutes, adding a little water if necessary to prevent the onions from burning.
- Add pumpkin puree and spices, stir well so all the ingredients are well incorporated, and cook for 3-4 minutes. Set aside to cool slightly.
- In the meantime, cut each wrapper in 2 even rectangles. Brush each one on both sides with oil. Fold each rectangle in half to form a square. Place about a teaspoon of pumpkin filling in the center and fold the corner diagonally to meet the opposite corner and form a triangle. Pinch the edges together (don’t worry if they’re not completely sealed) and gently press the filling towards the edges so it’s evenly spread on the triangle.
- Arrange the triangles on the baking sheet and bake at 375F for 10-12 minutes until golden and crunchy.
To make the sauce
- Combine cilantro, parsley, lime juice, olive oil, and both mustards in a blender and blend until smooth
- In a large bowl, season greek yogurt with salt and pepper. Add herb mixture and mix well until all the ingredients are well combined.
- These pumpkin appetizers are best eaten fresh right out of the oven!
- To make ahead, make the appetizers and freeze them flat on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Once Frozen transfer to a freezer bag. Bake right before serving. When baked frozen they may require a couple more minutes in the oven. Just check them carefully, so they don't burn.
This post was originally published on October 12, 2012 - it has been updated with new information and images
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 10
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: baked
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 3 Thanksgiving Appetizers without dipping sauce
- Calories: 123
- Sugar: 2.8
- Sodium: 363
- Fat: 7
- Saturated Fat: .9
- Unsaturated Fat: 5.7
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 15.2
- Fiber: .9
- Protein: .4
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: Vegetarian, thanksgiving, fall, kosher, parve, pumpkin