- 1 tbsp sesame oil or vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced or grated
- 1 1/2 " piece of ginger, freshly grated
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups Jasmine Rice
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- Chopped cilantro or parsley to garnish the rice
For the spiced cashews
- 1 cup roasted and lightly salted cashews
- 2 tbsp Maple Syrup
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- In a large, deep non-stick skillet fitted with a tight lid, heat sesame oil, add onion and saute on medium-high for 4 minutes, until it starts to soften.
- Lower the heat to medium and add garlic, ginger, turmeric, and black pepper. Continue cooking for another 3-4 minutes. Add rice and cook for 2 more minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add 2 1/3 cups of water and the salt, bring to a boil, cover with a lid and simmer for 25 minutes until tender and all the liquid has been absorbed
- In the meantime, prepare the cashews. In a medium bowl add cashews maple syrup, turmeric and black pepper. Mix well.
- Add to a medium-sized nonstick skillet and cook at medium-low heat for 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally and keeping an eye on them so they don't burn.
- Remove from the skillet into a piece of parchment paper and let them cool
- Before serving, top rice with cashews and chopped cilantro or parsley.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 35
- Category: Sides
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup with cashews
- Calories: 176
- Sugar: 3
- Sodium: 295
- Fat: 6.6
- Saturated Fat: 1.3
- Unsaturated Fat: 5
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 26
- Fiber: .9
- Protein: 3.6
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: jasmine rice, turmeric rice, spiced cashews