Have you heard of Shakshuka? It’s been gaining popularity over the last few years and we’re not surprised! It’s a spicy and savory dish made with tomatoes, warm seasonings, and eggs all simmered together. Can you think of anything more comforting?
- 1 lb jar tomato based spaghetti or pizza sauce, or your choice or jarred Shakshuka sauce if available
- 1- 15 ounce can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 6 eggs
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese (1 1/2 ounce/45gr) (You can sub goat cheese, mozzarella, cheddar cheese or your favorite non-dairy cheese)
- Hot red pepper flakes to taste (optional) or use the spices we used in this shakshuka recipe
- 4 tsp Schug, pesto sauce or just some chopped parsley or cilantro (optional) (See notes for other ingredient suggestions)
- Heat the sauce in a medium-size skillet over low heat. Add the chickpeas, hot pepper flakes and spices, if using them.
- Using a spoon, make a little well, and add one of the eggs. Repeat the process with the remaining eggs
- Sprinkle the cheese, cover the skillet and cook over medium-low heat for 10-15 minutes, until the eggs are done to your liking and the egg whites are set.
- Before serving, sprinkle a little more cheese if desired, Schug, pesto or chopped parsley or cilantro
- You may add olives, capers, black beans, corn, thawed frozen artichokes, thawed frozen spinach or fresh spinach, chopped kale and even veggie sausage.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern
- Serving Size: 2 eggs with sauce
- Calories: 452
- Sugar: 9.1
- Sodium: 1528.7
- Fat: 15.8
- Saturated Fat: 5.9
- Unsaturated Fat: 8.4
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 20.5
- Fiber: 6.2
- Protein: 23.9
- Cholesterol: 386.8
Keywords: What is shakshuka, shakshuka,