Deliciously addictive, schug will replace your favorite hot sauce faster than you can say “Pass Me the Water”!
- 3 large jalapeno peppers (seeds and membranes removed) diced (See note 1)
- 3 tightly packed cups of fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small garlic clove
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp coriander seeds or ground coriander
- 2 tsp cumin seeds or ground cumin
- Place all the ingredients in a food processor and pulse until blended and slightly chunky (you are NOT looking for a smooth creamy texture here)
- Transfer to a glass jar, top with a thin layer of olive oil to keep it fresh longer and store it in the refrigerator (see note 3)
- If you would like a hotter and spicer schug, don’t remove seeds and membranes or add an additional Jalapeno pepper
- Always use a clean utensil to scoop the schug out of the jar. DO NOT double dip or it will easily spoil. Always top with extra virgin olive oil to prevent it from spoiling.
- Schug should last in the fridge for a couple of months, just make sure there is always a thin layer of oil on top.
- Freeze schug that you are not planning to use within a month. We recommend freezing it in ice cube trays, to easily control how much you want to defrost and use.
- Use Schug to flavor roasted potatoes, roasted vegetables, hummus, falafel, eggs, or as a spicy sandwich spread
- Serving Size: 1 tablespoon
- Calories: 20
- Sugar: 0.1
- Sodium: 116.4
- Fat: 2.8
- Saturated Fat: 0.4
- Unsaturated Fat: 2.3
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 0.2
- Fiber: 0.1
- Protein: 0
- Cholesterol: 0