This is a hearty, thick soup that makes for a delicious lunch or dinner option. This red lentil soup recipe is filled with shiitake mushrooms, fresh fennel, veggie broth, herbs and spices. It’s vegan and gluten-free, so it’s an allergy-friendly recipe that’s filled with savory, comforting flavor.
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 lbs fresh shiitake mushrooms (see note 1), stems removed, chopped small in a food processor or by hand
- 2 heads of fennel, fronds removed, sliced small and thin in the food processor or by hand
- 2 cups of red lentils picked and rinsed (see note 2 about rinsing red lentils)
- 8 cups of veggie broth, no-chicken broth or water (see note 3)
- 1-2 tsp salt (See note 4)
- 2 tsp dry oregano
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp fennel seeds (optional)
- Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot. Add the garlic, and cook over medium heat for 1 minute
- Add the chopped mushrooms and sliced fennel and cook over medium-high for 7 minutes, stirring often
- Add the lentils and the water or broth. Add salt, oregano, turmeric, black pepper, and fennel seeds if using. Bring the soup to a boil and simmer 35 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning to your taste
- Shiitake mushrooms give this red lentil recipe the most flavor and "meatiness". If you cannot find Shiitake mushrooms you can use any other type of mushroom of your choice.
- Place the lentils on a large plate and pick any little rocks or debris. Rinse them thoroughly by placing them in a fine mesh colander under running water, until the water runs clear.
- If you're using water instead of broth, you might need to adjust the seasoning once the soup is cooked.
- We used 2 tsp of salt. You can start with 1 tsp and adjust as needed depending on if you're using a broth that already contains salt.
- Category: soup
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 185
- Sugar: 4
- Sodium: 702
- Fat: 2.5
- Saturated Fat: .4
- Unsaturated Fat: 2
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 32.5
- Fiber: 6.4
- Protein: 10.4
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: how to make red lentil soup, red lentil soup recipe, fennel soup