Sweet Spring onions baked to perfection with an easy to make authentic romesco sauce straight from our mom's kitchen in Spain.
- 2 medium red bell peppers
- 2 plum tomatoes
- 1 head of garlic
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 slice of old italian or french bread ( you can substitute one slice of sandwich bread or Gluten-free bread)
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted hazelnuts or almonds
- Pre-Heat oven at 400F
- Cut the Bottom of one head of garlic and wrap it in aluminum foil
- Place peppers, tomatoes and garlic on a large baking sheet.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Remove tomatoes and garlic from the baking sheet.
- Carefully place the tomatoes in a glass bowl while still hot. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap. Set the garlic aside.
- Continue baking the peppers for another 15 minutes.
- Carefully place the peppers while hot in the glass bowl with the tomatoes and cover the bowl with plastic wrap. This process will make it easier to peel the peppers and tomatoes once cooled. Let sit, covered, for 1 hour
- When the peppers and tomatoes are cool, remove the skin and pepper seeds
- Squeeze about 5 cloves of roasted garlic into the bowl containing the roasted peppers and tomatoes. Add extra virgin olive oil, salt, sweet paprika and red wine vinegar.
- Pour everything into a food processor. Add bread and chopped hazelnuts and pulse a few times until smooth.
YOU HAVE TO ALLOW AT LEAST 1 HOUR FOR THE VEGETABLES TO COOL BEFORE MAKING THE ROMESCO SAUCE.
YOU MAY ALSO GRILL YOUR VEGGIES FOR THIS ROMESCO SAUCE
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Category: Appetizer
- Cuisine: Kosher / Spanish