Transform the classic baba ghanoush dip into a main dish by adding beluga lentil
- 2 large eggplants
- 1 cup raw black beluga lentils, rinsed
- 4 cups of water with 1tsp of salt
- 1/4 cup tahini (we used our favorite Tehina Soom Foods)
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (not the bottled stuff, please!!)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tbsp black sesame seeds
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds (about 1 medium pomegranate)
- 1 loaf of crusty whole grain country bread or your bread of choice
- Pre-heat oven to broil 550F. Line a large baking sheet with aluminum or parchment paper
- Stab eggplant on all sides with a knife about 20-30 times (depending on the size) and place it on the lined baking sheet. Broil for 30 minutes on each side
- In the meantime bring salted water to a boil. Add rinsed lentils and cook for 20 minutes on high (the lentils will still be al dente)
- Remove eggplant from the oven and let it sit until cool enough to handle (about 20 minutes). Cut in half and with the help of a spoon, scoop out ALL the flesh, discarding the skin
- Place eggplant in a colander, with a bowl underneath, and let it sit for 20 minutes.
- Place eggplant in a large glass bowl. Mash it with a fork, and mix in tahini, lemon juice and salt until well incorporated.
- Then add sesame seeds, pomegranate seeds, parsley and 1 1/4 cups of cooked lentils and mix well
- Serve over toasted crusty wholegrain bread
YOU WILL HAVE SOME LENTILS LEFTOVER. ADD THEM TO YOUR FAVORITE SALAD OR STAY TUNED FOR MORE BELUGA LENTIL RECIPES.