This vegan chili recipe is a fresh take on traditional chili. Rich in plant-based protein and fiber, full of beta-carotene and can be served alone, over rice, quinoa, or on a bed of steamed greens.
- 2 tsp chili powder - See note 1, if you don't live in the USA
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 1/2 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium size onion, diced
- 8oz portabella chopped small
- 6oz tomato paste
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced into medium size pieces
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced thin
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4oz canned diced green chiles
- 1 cup lentils
- 28oz canned diced tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- Combine the chili powder, cumin, turmeric, and salt in a small bowl. Set aside
- Heat the olive oil in a soup pot. Add the onions and cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes, or until translucent, stirring occasionally.
- Add the mushrooms and continue cooking over medium-high heat for 8-10 minutes until all the water they release has cooked out
- Add tomato paste and spice mix and cook for an additional 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the diced sweet potato, carrots, garlic, chiles, lentils, diced tomatoes and 6 cups of water bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until lentils are cooked. Check chili after 15 minutes and add more water if necessary
- Add cilantro once the chili is cooked (if using)
Instant Pot Vegetarian Chili
- Set your instant pot in saute setting, when it heats up add oil.
- Add onions, garlic, sweet potatoes, carrots, mushrooms, spices and tomato paste, and sauté on high for 2 minutes, stirring often. Add 1/2 cup of water and continue cooking for 6 more minutes stirring often.
- Add tomatoes, chilies, lentils, 2 cups of water. Close the lid.
- Set on pressure cook for 10 minutes. Don't release the steam manually. Keep on the warm setting until ready to eat.
- In the US chili powder is generally a blend of spices that does include chilies but also has cumin, garlic powder, and herbs that dampen the heat of the chilies. In other countries, chili powder is made only from chilies! Keep this in mind when shopping for chili powder outside the US, so you don’t burn your mouth 😉
This vegetarian chili recipe was originally posted on January 7th, 2019. Images and other information have been updated.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45
- Category: Entree
- Method: Stove top
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 2 cups
- Calories: 280
- Sugar: 11.7
- Sodium: 898
- Fat: 6.7
- Saturated Fat: 1
- Unsaturated Fat: 5.3
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 46.2
- Fiber: 11.1
- Protein: 13.1
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: sweet potato, lentils, chili, vegan, gluten free, dinner, kosher,