This is a moist and savory homemade Jalapeno Vegan Cornbread with a slight sweetness that makes it addictive! It’s so good, we guarantee you won’t have any left at the end of the meal.
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp ground flax seeds mixed with 3 tbsp of water) OR one beaten egg (large). See Note 2
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup medium cornmeal
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup refined coconut oil at room temperature or vegan butter. See note 3
- 1/4 cup grapeseed or avocado oil ( or any other neutral-tasting oil)
- 1/2 cup maple syrup, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup plain unsweetened non-dairy yogurt ( we used Harmless Coconut ) (see note 1)
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 2 jalapenos, diced small
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Grease an 8" cast iron pan or an 8x8 baking pan
- In a small bowl, combine the ground flax seeds with 3 tablespoons of water to make the flax egg
- Combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. Set aside
- In a large bowl, beat the vegan butter or coconut oil, grapeseed oil, and maple syrup at medium speed until creamy, about 3 minutes
- Add the yogurt, soaked flax seeds (or beaten egg). Mix for a couple of minutes until well combined (the mixture will look curdled)
- Reduce the speed and add the flour mixture. Mix until just combined (do not overmix).
- Using a wooden spoon, gently fold the corn and jalapeños into cornbread batter. Pour into the cast iron pan or baking pan and bake at 400F for 35 minutes
- If you don't have vegan yogurt you may use 3/4 cup of warm plant-based milk, but the texture and the flavor of the vegan cornbread will not be the same.
- We've tested the recipe with egg and flax egg and we like it better with the flax egg.
- We like this cornbread recipe better when made with coconut oil vs vegan butter.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 35
- Category: Side
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 384
- Sugar: 13.8
- Sodium: 226.7
- Fat: 22.4
- Saturated Fat: 17
- Unsaturated Fat: 2.8
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 42.62
- Fiber: 2
- Protein: 4.4
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: Cornbread, vegan cornbread, jalapeño cornbread, Thanksgiving, parve, Kosher, fall