This Vegan Shepherd’s Pie, is the ultimate vegan comfort food. Warm, delicious, comforting.
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup dry red wine
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large parsnip, diced small (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 2–8oz packs babybella or crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 (150g) pack roasted and peeled chestnuts, quartered
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 10–12 medium size Yukon Gold potatoes (about 2 lbs)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/3 – 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth or unsweetened almond milk
- Peel and dice the potatoes. Boil in plenty of salted water until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and mash them using a potato masher or a fork. Add salt, pepper and olive oil and mix well. Slowly, pour vegetable broth or almond milk and mix until well incorporated. Set aside
- In a medium size sauce pan, heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil, add tomato paste and cook over medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes. Add red wine and continue cooking for an additional 3-4 minutes, until it reduces. Set aside
- In the meantime, saute onion in 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat for 2-3 minutes until translucent. Add parsnip and continue cooking for 2-3 minutes. Add mushrooms, chestnuts, salt, thyme and rosemary. Cook for 10 minutes , stir in the red wine sauce and cook for another 3 minutes
- Spoon aproximately 3/4 cup of vegetables in 4 individual baking dishes (or disposable foil ones). Top with 1/2 cup of mashed potatoes and bake at 400F for 20 minutes until golden brown.
You can prepare all the components of the dish ahead of time, and assemble and bake before serving
You can also use a large baking dish instead of individual ones.
Want to make it Paleo, make a cauliflower mash instead of mashed potatoes.