This Vegan Shepherd's Pie, is the ultimate vegan comfort food. Warm, delicious, comforting.
- For the mashed potatoes
- 10-12 medium size Yukon Gold potatoes (about 2 lbs)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/3 - 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth or unsweetened almond milk
- For the sheperd's pie filling
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup dry red wine
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 large parsnip, diced small (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 2-8oz packs babybella or crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 (150g) pack roasted and peeled chestnuts, quartered
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tsp chopped fresh rosemary
- Peel and dice the potatoes. Boil in plenty of salted water until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and mash them using a potato masher or a fork. Add salt, pepper and olive oil and mix well. Slowly, pour vegetable broth or almond milk and mix until well incorporated. Set aside
- In a medium size sauce pan, heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil, add tomato paste and cook over medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes. Add red wine and continue cooking for an additional 3-4 minutes, until it reduces. Set aside
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil add onion and cook over medium heat for 4-5 minutes until translucent. Add parsnip and continue cooking for 2-3 minutes. Add mushrooms, chestnuts, salt, thyme and rosemary. Cook for 10 minutes, or until pasrnips are soft. You may need to add some water to prevent vegetables from burning. Stir in the red wine sauce and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Spoon mixture into an oven proof baking dish or an oven proof skillet. ( See Note 2)
- Top vegetables with mashed potatoes and bake at 400F for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Do you want to freeze or make this dish a few days ahead? See note 1
- You can prepare all the components of the dish ahead of time, and assemble and bake before serving. You may also freeze the filling, but we recommend making the mashed potatoes only 2 days ahead.
- You can also individual baking dishes instead of a large one
- Want to make it Paleo, make a cauliflower mash or instead of mashed potatoes.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: Entree
- Method: stovetop and oven
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 570
- Sugar: 11.8 g
- Sodium: 913.7 mg
- Fat: 25.4 g
- Saturated Fat: 3.7 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 80.5 g
- Fiber: 12.7 g
- Protein: 10.1 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg