A great side-dish that takes minutes to prepare, our Moroccan carrot salad has a beautiful presentation and it can be served with a casual supper or formal holiday meals.
- 12 large carrots, peeled and trimmed
- 3 tsp sea salt or 1 1/2 tsp table salt (see note 1)
- 1/3 cup lemon juice (see note 2)
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp sweet paprika
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp sumac (See note 5)
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
- Slice the carrots into 3/4″ rounds (cut them in half lengthwise as you get to the thicker part. The goal is to have all the carrots be approximately the same size, so they can cook evenly)
- Place carrots in a medium size pot, add water so it covers about 2″ above the carrots and the salt. Bring to a boil and reduce the heat slightly so they can keep boiling. Cook for 45 minutes or until the carrots are tender, but not mushy (See note 3)
- Drain them well, transfer them to large bowl and immediately add the lemon juice, olive oil, paprika, cumin and sumac and toss well. Add the chopped cilantro or parsley, toss again and refrigerate until ready to serve (see note 4)
- 3 teaspoons of sea salt may seem like a lot, but all doesn’t get absorbed into the carrots. It is important to salt the water well, the same way you do when cooking pasta. If you are using regular table salt, reduce the amount of salt in half. Please note that if you are cooking less than 12 large carrots, you must reduce the amount of salt as well.
- For us, 1/3 cup of lemon juice is the perfect amount for this Moroccan carrot salad. You can reduce the amount of lemon if you prefer the carrot salad less tangy.
- Carrots should be soft, but they should still hold their shape.
- The carrot salad tastes better when prepared a day or two ahead of time.
- You can find Sumac online or in Whole Foods. If you don’t have it handy, just skip it. But we highly recommend you add it to your pantry.
- Category: Side dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Moroccan
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup
- Calories: 71
- Sugar: 3.6
- Sodium: 631
- Fat: 5
- Saturated Fat: 0.7
- Unsaturated Fat: 4
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 7.4
- Fiber: 2
- Protein: 0.7
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: carrot salad, Moroccan, how to make the best Moroccan carrot salad, vegan