Fig and Cheese Empanadas a heavenly sweet and savory combination.
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 dozen fresh figs diced (makes about 1 1/2 cups)
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves or cinnamon
- 7 oz Sincerely Brigitte Orange Ginger Cheese, shredded
- 15 oz (2 rolls) store bought pie crust (we used Immaculate Baking)
- 1 egg, beaten with 1 tsp water
- Pre-Hear oven to 375F. Line 2 large baking sheet with parchment paper
- Heat butter in a large skillet. Add diced figs, sugar and cloves and cook over medium heat for about 15 minutes or until almost all the liquid from the figs has evaporated
- Transfer to a bowl, add shredded cheese and mix well
- Carefully open one pie crust and keep the other one in the fridge. Roll out the crust and smooth it out using a rolling pin. Take a 3″ cookie cutter (you can also use a glass rim ) and cut out dough circles. Gather the dough scraps, re roll them and cut out more circles (repeat the process as many times as necessary until you don’t have any dough left)
- Place about 1 teaspoon filling in the center of each round and carefully seal all the edges with your fingers to form a small empanada. Using a fork carefully seal the edges again. Repeat the process with the second roll of dough
- Arrange the empanadas on the lined sheet and gently brush them with the egg and water mixture. Bake for 15-17 minutes
IF YOU HAVE ANY LEFTOVER FILLING, SPREAD IT ON A PIECE OF BREAD AND TOAST IT FOR A TASTY BREAKFAST TREAT. YOU CAN ALSO ADD IT TO THE BATTER NEXT TIME YOU MAKE PANCAKES!