This carrot raisin quinoa recipe comes together quickly with only 5 ingredients if you don’t count salt and oil. But don’t be fooled by its simplicity it packs comforting flavor and it’s a favorite among adults and kids. Give it a try and please let us know what you think.
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 large sweet onion, sliced
5 medium carrots freshly shredded, or 4 cups store-bought shredded carrots
1 3/4 cups water
3/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
3/4 cup raisins
1 cup quinoa, rinsed
Optional Topping: any nuts of your choice, chopped
- In a 3 qt sauté pan with a lid, heat oil and cook onions at medium-high heat until translucent, about 5 minutes
- Add shredded carrots and continue cooking at for an additional 5 minutes
- Add water, salt, pepper, raisins and rinsed quinoa and stir well.
- Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 25 minutes
- Uncover the pan and gently fluff the quinoa up with a fork. If water remains, cover and continue cooking for an additional 5 minutes or until all the water has cooked out.
- Top with nuts, right before serving, if using.
- Serve warm or at room temperature
- This quinoa recipe comes out better and tastier with freshly shredded carrots
- Serving Size: 1/3 cup
- Calories: 223
- Sugar: 15.8
- Sodium: 316
- Fat: 5.8
- Saturated Fat: .8
- Unsaturated Fat: 5
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 40.5
- Fiber: 5.3
- Protein: 5.1
- Cholesterol: 0