You’ll love these two-ingredient candied pecans. They’re crunchy, perfectly sweet and a great snack. Made without egg and on the stovetop. Vegan and Gluten-Free.
- 2 cups ( 7 oz / 200 grams) raw pecans
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp ( 4 3/8 oz / 130 grams) white sugar (SEE NOTES 1 & 2)
- 2/3 cups water
- 1/4 tsp salt (optional)
- Prepare a piece of parchment paper on a baking sheet (or your counter if it’s heat resistant)
- Combine, the pecans, sugar, water and salt (if using)In a medium-large skillet (it’s best to use a deep skillet, to prevent the sugar from splashing, but a regular skillet will work as well). Have a wooden spoon handy as well
- Cook over high heat until it boils, about 1-2 minutes, and reduce heat to medium-high
- Continue cooking and stirring with a wooden spoon until the liquid becomes thicker and darker in color, about 4-5 minutes, and reduce the heat to medium
- Continue cooking until all the water evaporates and stir constantly until the sugar crystallizes and becomes sandy, about 3-5 minutes. Lower temperature to low (check out the video or the images in the blog post)
- Once all the pecans are coated with the sugar crystals, keep stirring until the sugar starts melting again and starts coating the pecans with a shiny sugar coating. Not all the pecan will have an even coating (SEE NOTE 3)
- Remove from heat and place the pecans on the prepared parchment paper.
- Let the candied pecans cool completely. DO NOT TOUCH THE HOT PECANS, THEY WILL BURN YOUR SKIN. BE CAREFUL!
- Once the candied pecans have cooled completely, separate any that have clumped together.
- Store in a glass jar with a tight lid.
- If using brown sugar, use 1/2 cup plus 1/3 cup of packed brown sugar. If using maple syrup, use 1/2 cup
- The recipe calls for 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons of white sugar. Use the whole amount to get the best results.
- Brown sugar will take longer to remelt than white sugar and maple syrup doesn’t really remelt, so the pecans will have a thicker crystallized sugar coating on them
- Serving Size: 5 candied pecan halves
- Calories: 86
- Sugar: 6.3
- Sodium: 0
- Fat: 6.5
- Saturated Fat: .6
- Unsaturated Fat: 5.9
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 7.2
- Fiber: 1
- Protein: .8
- Cholesterol: 0