This hearty vegan dinner is colorful, filled with flavor, and very satisfying! It’s a blend of tender cooked black lentils and Roasted Carrots that everyone at the table will love!
For the lentils
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 1" piece of peeled fresh ginger, grated
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced or grated
- 1 cup dry black lentils, picked through
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
For the carrots
- 8 carrots, washed and peeled
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 tsp dry oregano
- 1/2 tsp dry thyme
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
For the Glaze
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 2 tbsp silan ( date syrup)
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp soy sauce
- 1/2 " piece ginger, grated
- 2 dashes of hot sauce ( more or less to taste)
- Pomegranate seeds
- Chopped parsley or cilantro
- Heat the olive oil in a deep skillet for which you have a lid. Add the onion, garlic, and ginger and saute for 5 minutes.
- Add the lentils and 3 cups of water, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer for about 30 minutes or until tender Check the lentils after 20 minutes to make sure there's enough water. You want to prevent the lentils from burning (see note #1)
- Once the lentils are tender, if there is any water left, strain and discard any water, but don't rinse the lentils. Set the lentils aside. Please note that cooking time for lentils may vary.
For the carrots
- Preheat the oven to 400F, line a large baking sheet with parchment paper
- Cut the carrots in half lengthwise, and cut each half into 2-3 pieces (depending on the thickness) ensuring all the pieces are similar in size and thickness. Place them in a large bowl and add the olive oil, paprika, oregano, thyme, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt. Toss well until all the carrots are well coated with the olive oil and spices.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until tender
For the glaze
- Whisk all the ingredients together in a bowl until well combined
Putting it all together
- Place the cooked carrots right out of the oven into a bowl. Pour the glaze over them and toss well so they're well coated and return to the oven for 5 minutes.
- Place lentils at the bottom of a serving or baking dish and arrange the glazed carrots on top. Garnish with fresh pomegranates and chopped parsley or cilantro
- The amount of water needed for the lentils will vary depending on the type of lentil and how fresh they are.
- Please note that cooking time for lentils may vary.
- Category: Main
- Method: roasting
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
- Serving Size: 1/4 of the recipe
- Calories: 376
- Sugar: 19
- Sodium: 1065.5
- Fat: 11.4
- Saturated Fat: 1.6
- Unsaturated Fat: 9.1
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 58.6
- Fiber: 9.4
- Protein: 13.9
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: Rosh Hashanah, parve, kosher, gluten-free, vegan