A flavorful and authentic Homemade Falafel Recipe with Lemony Tahini Sauce that will blow your mind! Use fresh chickpeas and a muffin tin to create one of the most popular dishes in the Middle East.
- 1 cup raw dried chickpeas, soaked overnight. See Note 1
- 1 bunch of fresh parsley
- 1 bunch of fresh cilantro
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp sweet paprika or hot paprika if you want your falafel spicy
- 1/4 tsp grpund allspice
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/16 tsp ground cardamon
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Cooking spray
For the Lemony Tahini Sauce
- 1/2 cup tahini (sesame paste)
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup of cold water
For the Tomato Cucumber Salad
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes, multicolor, if available
- 1 cup chopped cucumbers, preferably Persian or Seedles
- 1 tbsp plus 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2-3 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4-1/2 tsp salt
- Pre-heat oven at 400F
- Generously spray a mini muffin tin with cooking spray
- Combine parsley and cilantro in the food processor, pulse until very finely chopped.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, except for the olive oil and baking powder to the food processor
- If baking the falafel, pulse a few times until all the ingredients are well combined, but not completely smooth. Check the image on the post for texture. If frying the falafel, process the falafel mixture until smooth otherwise it will fall apart in the frying oil.
- Place mixture in a bowl, add olive oil and baking powder and mix well
- Place the mixture in the fridge and let it rest for 30 minutes.
- Using your hands, or a small ice cream scoop form small balls and place them in the mini muffin tin. The mixture will be a little loose, just squeeze it in your hands and transfer from hand to hand until you form a loose falafel ball. You should use approximately 2 teaspoons per falafel ball. To make it easier for form the falafel balls, use a small ice cream scoop, pressing the mixture tightly and then releasing it into the mini muffin tin cavities. See Note 3.
- Generously spray falafel with oil spray
- Bake at 400F for 15 minutes or fry in abundant oil about 2 minutes per side.
To make the lemony tahini sauce:
- In a medium bowl add tahini, lemon and salt and mix well with a fork. The tahini will thicken and will become like a thick paste. At this point, add water 1 tablespoon at a time. Mixing well after adding each tablespoon. Add water until you reach the desired consistency. If making the tahini sauce ahead, note that it will thicken in the fridge and you may have to add a little more water to loosen it.
For the tomato and cucumber salad
- Place tomatoes and cucumber in a bowl and add olive oil, lemon and salt. Mix well.
- IN ORDER TO MAKE THIS RECIPE YOU WILL NEED TO SOAK THE CHICKPEAS OVERNIGHT IN TWICE THEIR VOLUME OF WATER.
- IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO FREEZE THE FALAFEL FREEZE ALREADY BAKED.
- The falafel mixture may be a little sticky or loose just slightly wet your hands and roll the falafel balls by transferring them from hand to hand or use a small ice cream scoop. If you are having a hard time forming the balls, return mixture to the food processor and pulse a few more times until it the balls hold together better.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: entree
- Method: baked
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern
- Serving Size: 4 falafel balls
- Calories: 182
- Sugar: 4
- Sodium: 420
- Fat: 7
- Unsaturated Fat: 4
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 24
- Fiber: 5.5
- Protein: 8.2
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: falafel, recipe, tahini, what is falafel, how to make falafel,