Forget takeout! This Vegan Pad Thai Salad is a lighter, gluten free alternative to the popular Thai dish.
Having great memory can be both a blessing and a curse. It definitely has its disadvantages ( especially when it comes to arguments, or bad / embarrassing things that have happened), but overall I think it is a good thing. It’s almost like having a photo album of your life stuck in your head.
I remember the fist time I had Chinese food (bad memory); first time I had sushi (good at first, not so good afterwards); the first time I had Thai food (great memory).
Let me talk about this one for a minute.
To be completely honest, for the life of me I can’t remember what I ate. At all. What I do remember, however, is that I was a teenager and I was in Israel visiting my sister. I took a month long trip with some friends, and we had an incredible time. The highlight though, was getting the chance to spend a few days with my sister, whom I hadn’t seen in a long time. So that, is the memory I associate with Thai food.
We don’t get much of a chance to enjoy Thai food around here (not a lot of vegan / vegetarian /kosher options) so over the years we’ve come up with a few versions of our own. We wanted to recreate one of the most popular dishes with recipe.
This gluten free, vegan Pad Thai salad has Red Rice Noodles as a base. Slightly chewy, hearty and made with organic red rice, these noodles a delicious way to incorporate whole grains into your diet. Tossed with spirilized carrots. zucchini, sprouts and crumbled tofu for an extra protein boost, and a citrussy spicy peanut sauce for some heat and a bust of flavor.
- 8 ounces Explore Cuisine Red Rice Pad Thai Noodles
- ½ cup orange juice
- 2 tbsp peanut butter
- 4 tsp tamari sauce
- 2 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 14oz extra firm tofu, crumbled
- 2 large carrots, spiralized
- 2 large zucchini, spiralized
- 6 scallions, sliced
- ¾ cup soy bean sprouts
- ½ cup chopped cilantro (optional)
- For the sauce:
- ¼ cup lime juice
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- ¼ cup tamari sauce
- ¼ tsp marinated red pepper flakes
- Cook the Red rice Pad Thai noodles according to the package instructions. Drain and rinse with cold water. Set aside
- In a small bowl, whisk together the orange juice, peanut butter, soy sauce and ginger until smooth
- Heat a large non stick skillet over medium heat. Add the orange juice mixture and the crumbled tofu, toss well and cook for 5-7 minutes
- To prepare the sauce, combine all the ingredients in a small bowl and mix well
- To assemble the dish, combine the cooked noodles, carrots, zucchini, scallions, sprouts, cooked tofu and cilantro in a large bowl. Add the sauce and toss well. Can be served warm or cold