Well, here we are again. Daring to make something we’ve never eaten before. Just like we did with the vegetarian version of Buffalo wings. Because, in case you haven’t noticed yet, nothing gets our creative juices flowing more than a challenge. And attempting to recreate the flavors of a dish you’ve never tried before, is right up there in the challenge scale.
Truth is, growing up in Spain, the only “dip” we really knew about (besides hummus, which obviously isn’t Spanish) was olive oil and salt. Seriously. So all that heavy, sour cream and mayo laden stuff really doesn’t sound very appetizing to us, which is why we never had the desire of tasting it.
Why are we posting this recipe then, you might ask? Well, remember our last post? That whole spiel about how it’s important to keep an open mind, yada yada yada… We can’t just talk the talk, we have to walk the walk! So… keeping an open mind, we are gonna give this onion dip business a try.
BUT, as usual, we are going to make it our own and give it a healthy spin. No sour cream or mayo, so we can slash the saturated fat and cholesterol, and reduce the calories. We are also making it vegan and gluten free, so everyone can enjoy it.
Using GO VEGGIE vegan cream cheese as a base and adding just a few ingredients, sweet caramelized onions, all natural onion dip mix (which is basically a blend of dehydrated onions and spices) and a splash of vegan Worcestershire sauce and balsamic vinegar, we created a rich and creamy dip that we hope you find just as good, if not better than the original! Just a little bit better for you. Worth a try, don’t you think? 🙂Print
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1–8oz container GO VEGGIE Vegan Classic Plain Cream Cheese
- 1 tbsp all natural onion dip mix
- 1 tsp Vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1tsp balsamic vinegar
- In a large non stick skillet, saute sliced onion in olive oil over medium heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add brown sugar and 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar and continue cooking for another 40 minutes or until the onions are soft and caramelized. Set aside to cool slightly
- Combine cooked onions, GO VEGGIE cream cheese, onion dip mix, Worcestershire sauce and 1 teaspoon of balsamic vinegar in a food processor. Pulse until smooth and creamy
- Serve with bread, crackers, chips or veggies
This post is Sponsored by GO VEGGIE . All opinions are our own.