These Delicious Grilled Tricolor Hasselback Potatoes with Romesco Sauce, are inspired from one of our favorite Spanish Tapas, Patatas Bravas (fried or roasted potatoes with spicy sauce) and Romesco a traditional Spanish sauce or spread that is served along with grilled vegetables, meats, or fish with toasted rustic bread or Pan con tomate. This grilled vegan recipe can be served as an appetizer or as a side dish.
These delicious grilled potatoes are cooked in foil to keep them moist and fro faster cooking. They make a great appetizer or side dish, that will be ready in a flash. Make sure to use even size, small potatoes, so they all cook evenly and at the same time. You can also prepare the sauce 2 to 3 days ahead of time, and refrigerate it until you're ready to use it.
It's grilling season! Let's leave the colder messy months behind us and think about the warmer months ahead. Close your eyes and daydream about bright sunshine, warm days, beach days, family and friends getting together for picnics and barbecues.
Hasselback potatoes are definitely "in" right now, but have you ever thought of making them on the grill? They are incredibly scrumptious, and all you need is the right sauce to make them a spectacular, nutritious dish. To go back to our Spanish roots, we are serving these with a quick shortcut romesco sauce, you can choose the traditional recipe and make our delicious Romesco. Romesco is a traditional Spanish sauce made with lots of roasted garlic, roasted peppers, nuts, and smokey paprika.
Nutritional Information about Potatoes
Everyone LOVES potatoes. Besides being delicious, filling and comforting, they're a great source or energy (hello carbs!) and vitamin B6, (which helps turn the energy from food into energy your body can use). They are high in antioxidants (such as Vitamin C), fiber (which makes you feel full longer), potassium and magnesium and are fat, cholesterol, sodium and gluten-free. They can be prepared in a million different ways, which makes getting your daily serving of veggies a whole lot easier!Print
Grilled Tricolor Hasselback Potatoes with Romesco Sauce.
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Yield: 4 to 6 servings 1x
These delicious Grilled Tricolor Hasselback Potatoes with Romesco Sauce are a combination of two of our favorite Spanish dishes: “Patatas Bravas” (roasted potatoes with spicy sauce) and “Romesco”, a traditional Spanish sauce/spread that is served along with grilled vegetables, meats or with toasted rustic bread. This dish is vegan and can be served as an appetizer or side dish and can be made for Passover as well.
- 3 small Yukon Gold potatoes
- 3 small red potatoes
- 3 small purple potatoes
- 4 ½ teaspoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- For the Quick Romesco sauce - or try our authentic romesco sauce
- 12 ounces jarred roasted red peppers
- 10 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 slice of bread (any kind) or one sheet of Matzah if making it for Passover
- 1 /2 cup chopped toasted almonds
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sweet or smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Thoroughly wash, scrub and dry the potatoes. Wrap the garlic for the Romesco sauce in aluminum foil
- Preheat the grill to medium-high - See Note 1
- Place one potato on a flat surface. Hold it tightly on both ends with your thumb and index finger. Using a sharp paring knife and starting from one end, cut thin slices, stopping before reaching the bottom (make sure you don't cut all the way through), keeping the cuts as even as possible. Repeat the process with the rest of the potatoes. It helps to place a chopstick on each side of the potato, to prevent you from cutting all the way through.
- Drizzle ½ teaspoon of olive oil over each potato, rubbing them very gently so they are well coated. Sprinkle salt and pepper evenly and place them on the grill. Cover and cook for 30 minutes or until tender. At the same time, place the foil-wrapped garlic in the grill, and remove it after 15 minutes or until soft.
- Once the garlic is cooked and while the potatoes continue cooking, prepare the Romesco sauce. Combine all the sauce ingredients, including the garlic, in the food processor and pulse until smooth.
- Once the potatoes are ready, place them on a serving platter and cover them tightly with aluminum foil, until they’re ready to be served.
- This Hasselback potato recipe can also be made in the oven. Just bake the potatoes in a 400F oven instead of placing them on the grill. Cook until tender.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Category: Appetizer
- Cuisine: Kosher / Vegan
As a big fan of Patatas Bravas I will be giving this one a go, smoked paprika is a staple in my cupboard as I love cooking with it so am sure I will love this recipe too. I will most probably serve this with one of my other favourites chorizo, yum!
Vicky & Ruth says
Hi Lee! Thank you for your comment. We hope you enjoy it!!