This Spicy Pizza Rugelach recipe, is only one of the many inventive and creative recipes included in Shannon Sarna’s first cookbook Modern Jewish Baker.
1 cup ( 2 sticks) unsalted butter at room temperature
8 ounces full-fat cream cheese, at room temperature
2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 cups + 3 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2–3/4 cup marinara or pizza sauce
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
1 egg, beaten ( for glaze)
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter and cream cheese until smooth. Scrape down sides of bowl. Add the sugar, salt and tomato paste and beat until combined. You can also do this by hand.
- Add the flour and mix just until dough come together. Divide the dough into four pieces. Wrap in plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 1 to 2 hours or up to 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375F
- Roll each piece of dough into a large circle. Using 8- or 9-inch round, cut dough into a perfect circle. I recommend using a pizza cutter for this task.
- Spread each circle of dough with 2 to 3 tablespoons of marinara sauce in a thin layer, leaving 1/4 inch border all around. Sprinkle each circle with 2 tablespoons of shredded mozzarella and press gently into sauce.
- Using a pizza cutter, cut the dough into 8 even triangles. Starting at the longer end, roll up each triangle.
- Place the point side down on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or silicone baking mat.
- Brush each rugelach with beaten egg and sprinkle with dried basil, dried oregano and dried red pepper flakes.
- Bake for 16-18 minutes, until golden. Allow to cool on wire rack.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Modern Jewish Baker © 2017 by Shannon Sarna, The Countryman Press
- Serving Size: 1 rugelach
- Calories: 124
- Sugar: 1.5
- Sodium: 80
- Fat: 9.4
- Saturated Fat: 8
- Unsaturated Fat: .4
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 8.2
- Fiber: .3
- Protein: 2
- Cholesterol: 31