When you love a good grilled cheese but you want to switch things up a little bit - try this grilled cheese sandwich with feta cheese, tomatoes, and spinach. It has the comfort level you've come to expect from the gooey cheese on crusty bread, with the flavors of a Greek salad to satisfy your craving for variety.
We combined creamy and creamy Muenster cheese with salty, sharp feta for the perfect balance of texture and flavor in each bite. The fresh tomatoes add juiciness while the spinach gives the sandwich just a touch of freshness. And to top it all off, buttery, crispbread.
Prepare yourself to indulge! We are not cutting corners or lightening up this comforting grilled cheese! This one full fat, time-to-indulge, comforting one. For special occasions only, of course. Or if you need something comforting because you have a severe "case of Mondays". Or... your hockey team just lost a game. Or... Passover just ended and you need to make up for a lost time (even if you're not Jewish). Or... "insert your excuse here" because trust us, you're gonna want to find one (anyone) to sink your teeth into this decadent sandwich.
Ingredients for Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Sourdough bread or country bread: You will want to use nice crusty slices of bread that can stand up to the cooking method and crunch up.
- Butter: Vegan butter is also perfect.
- Crumbled Sheep's Milk Feta Cheese: We like the sharp flavor of sheep'smilk feta, you may also use your favorite feta or even vegan feta cheese.
- Pesto: Store-bought or homemade pesto will both work. But homemade pesto is best.
- Tomatoes: They add a touch of fresness to this grilled cheese. If you don't have any tomatoes handy you may also use sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil as an alternative.
- Muenster Cheese: Any creamy and melty cheese of your choice works for this sandwich.
- Baby Spinach Leaves: If you cannot find baby spinach, arugula will also work.
How to Make a Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Start by lightly toasting the bread slices for your sandwiches. We do this to make the grilled cheese extra crunchy. You can make as many as you like and easily scale up the recipe.
Spread one side of each slice of bread with butter and the other side of each slice with pesto sauce. Place the butter side down of one slice on a hot nonstick skillet, cast iron skillet, or a grill pan.
Add one slice of muenster cheese, some crumbled feta, a tomato slice or two, and a few spinach leaves. Then top with the second slice of muenster. Finish it with the second slice of bread, with the butter facing up.
Cook each side of the sandwich for four to five minutes until the cheese is melted and the bread is golden brown and crunchy. Flip carefully, the cheese may not be melted for the first flip and you don't want all those tasty layers to come out.
Tips for the Best Grilled Cheese Sandwich Ever
Alternatively, you may use a panini maker to make your grilled cheese. Just be aware that it compresses the bread as it cooks, resulting in a more flat sandwich. Make sure to get thick, hearty bread.
Lightly toasting the bread before you add the butter and grill it will help make sure it stays crispy all the way through and holds its shape a little more. Try it once instead of skipping this step. You will appreciate the difference.
Can I make ahead a grilled cheese sandwich?
You may assemble the grilled cheese sandwiches a couple of hours ahead of time and cook them right before serving.
Can I make a gluten-free grilled cheese sandwich?
Yes. Many grocery stores have a really tasty multigrain bread in the gluten-free section and that would work perfectly for this sandwich or any other grilled cheese. It comes frozen and needs fully toasted from frozen before you start the grilled cheese process.
Can I make this grilled cheese sandwich vegan?
Yes. The only thing you have to do is use vegan cheese and vegan butter. Make sure your pesto is vegan as well.
Other Grilled Cheese Sandwiches you will Love
If you enjoyed this recipe, it would help us tremendously if you left us a star rating in the comments below or on the recipe card. Do you have any questions about the recipe? Do you need a swap for any of the ingredients? We are here to help, just leave us a question in the comments below.Print
When you want to indulge in a really comforting meal, try this grilled cheese recipe. Our grilled cheese sandwich has tangy feta cheese, muenster cheese, fresh spinach, fresh tomatoes on crunchy sourdough bread with pesto.
- 2 slices sourdough bread or country bread
- 1 tbsp butter
- ¼ cup crumbled sheep's milk feta cheese. You may use vegan feta cheese
- 2 tsp pesto store-bought or homemade pesto
- 1 small tomato, sliced - See note 1
- 2 slices Muenster cheese or any cheese of your choice. It can be regular or vegan cheese
- 6-7 Baby spinach leaves
- Lightly toast the bread slices
- Spread one side of one of the bread slices with the butter and the other side with pesto. Place on slice butter side down it on a nonstick pan, cast iron pan, or grill pan.
- Arrange 1 slice of Muenster cheese, feta, tomato slices, and spinach leaves on top. Top with the remaining slice of Muenster Cheese. Place the other slice of bread on top, butter side up
- Cook over medium heat for about 4-5 minutes per side until cheese is melted and bread is golden brown. Make sure you flip the grilled cheese carefully so the filling doesn't fall off.
- Serve immediately
- You may use sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil as an alternative
- Alternatively, you may use a panini maker to make your grilled
- You may assemble the grilled cheese sandwiches a couple of hours ahead of time and cook them right before serving
This post was originally published on April 28, 2014. It has been updated with new information and images.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Category: Sandwich
- Method: Stove top
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
- Serving Size: 1 grilled cheese
- Calories: 633
- Sugar: 8.5
- Sodium: 1303
- Fat: 35.9
- Saturated Fat: 20.1
- Unsaturated Fat: 13.5
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 49.3
- Fiber: 2.8
- Protein: 29.6
- Cholesterol: 99.2
Keywords: grilled cheese sandwich, grilled cheese, crunchy grilled cheese