The fats in our Quinoa Protein Bars are healthy fats primarily from the almonds. The calories are mostly from the dates, which is one of nature's sweetest foods. You will find only natural, unrefined sugars in this recipe which contains 4 SUPERFOODS--Quinoa, dates, almonds and dark chocolate.
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 16 Medjool dates
- 1/2 cup raw almonds, with skin
- 1/3 cup natural crunchy peanut or almond butter
- 1/4 cup gluten-free dark chocolate chips
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- Add quinoa and water to a small sauce, cover and bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cook approximately 15 minutes or until all water has been absorbed. Cool to room temperature and refrigerate for at least 2 hours (overnight will work)
- Using a food processor, add dates and pulse until they form a ball (if they're too dry, add about a tablespoon of water). Remove dates and place in a medium mixing bowl.
- Add almonds to the food processor and pulse until finely minced. Be careful not to turn the almonds into a paste. Add dates, almonds, peanut butter, and cold quinoa to the food processor and pulse until ingredients are well combined.
- Return ingredients to the mixing bowl and shape into 6 - 2" x 1" bars, about 1" thickness, or into approximately 24 balls (about 1 tablespoon each). Set aside in the refrigerator.
- In the meantime, melt chocolate chips and coconut oil in the microwave or over a double boiler. Spread melted chocolate over the top and refrigerate until set
- Bars can be stored in an airtight container for several days.
- Prep Time: 2 hours 15 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Snacks
- Cuisine: Gluten Free