Soft, fudgy brownie cookies with an intense chocolate flavor are the perfect flourless chocolate cookie fix when nothing else will do. These delicious gluten-free cookies are made with dark chocolate, peanut butter, and a little bit of espresso powder for the beautiful brookie (aka brownie + cookie) taste everyone will love.
- 2 large eggs ( see note 1 for a vegan option)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup 70% cocoa chocolate chips ( see note 2)
- 1/2 cup all-natural smooth or crunchy peanut butter
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp espresso powder or instant coffee
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using a stand-up mixer or hand mixer whisk eggs and sugar for 3-5 minutes until pale yellow and has doubled in size.
- Melt chocolate chips with peanut butter in the microwave in 20-second increments, stirring every 20 seconds, until melted. Mix well. You can also use a double boiler to melt the chocolate.
- Add warm melted chocolate to the egg mixture and whisk until combined.
- Add cocoa powder, espresso powder, and salt and whisk.
- Place the cookie mixture in the fridge for 5 minutes
- Scoop 1 1/2 tablespoons of batter using an ice cream scoop
- Leave an inch of space between each cookie
- Bake for 8 minutes. Remove from the oven and let the cookies cool.
- How to make these brownies cookies vegan: we've tested this recipe by replacing the eggs with 2 flax eggs (2 tbsp ground flax seeds mixed with 6 tablespoons of water or unsweetened almond milk). The cookies flatten more and they are still fudgy, with a slightly different texture.
- For a sweeter cookie, you can replace dark chocolate chips with semi-sweet or milk chocolate chips
Freeze the cookies in an airtight container. They will keep for three to six months. Thaw individually for a quick treat in the lunch box.
You can also freeze unbaked cookie dough. Separate the dough into cookie size balls. Spread them out on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Place the tray in the freezer for two hours or so. Move the cookies to an airtight container and keep them for up to three months. Bake the cookies from frozen for one extra minute. If they do not spread out, press them down a bit with the back of a mixing spoon halfway through the baking process or tap the baking sheet a few times on the oven rack.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 8
- Category: cookies
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 159
- Sugar: 14.2
- Sodium: 29.9
- Fat: 9
- Saturated Fat: 3.5
- Unsaturated Fat: 5.1
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 17.8
- Fiber: 1.8
- Protein: 3.65
- Cholesterol: 23.9
Keywords: gluten-free, flourless, kosher, chocolate, double chocolate