Last week, we took a day trip to NYC to attend The 2014 Summer Fancy Food Show. For those of you not familiar with it, it’s the largest specialty food event in the country. Or a foodie’s paradise, if you prefer.
We walked around the entire day, going from booth to booth, tasting all sorts of interesting and delicious products. Anything from chocolate, to nut butters, olive oil, candy, tea… Well, you get the idea.
Discovering and tasting all these goodies was obviously one of the highlights of the day. But just as exciting was getting to know the people behind all those great products. Especially the smaller, newer companies.
These were some of our favorites:
– Sante Nuts : Founded by a single mom who was trying to find a way to make ends meet, Sante Nuts offers some of the most delicious spiced and candied nuts we’ve tasted. Our top picks? Cardamom cashews and candied pistachios.
– Biena Foods Roasted Chickpeas : Roasted chickpeas make the perfect little snack. They’re nutritious and satisfying. But, have you ever tried making them at home? We have. Many times. But they always come out hard as rock. Not kidding! Somehow the folks at Biena foods have mastered the art of chickpea roasting. All the flavors were just delicious. Now if they just agreed to share their secret with us…
– Tori & Howard Organic Hard Candy : A five minute conversation with Tori, co-founder of Tori & Howard organic hard candy, is all you need to understand this lady is in the candy business. Genuinely sweet, warm and friendly. Tori & Howard offered a variety of delicious organic hard candy, with unique flavors like d’anjou pear & cinnamon and pomegranate & nectarine. Made with all natural ingredients, Kosher certified, free of any preservatives, additives, artificial flavoring, chemicals or dyes and allergy friendly.
– NuGo Nutrition Bars: We were so excited to see the NuGo booth at the show. Definitely not a new product for us, NuGo bars are probably THE best tasting nutrition bar you’ll ever have. Made with real chocolate and real ingredients, all flavors and varieties are just awesome. Our very favorite is the Slim line, high in protein and low in sugar. And they even have 2 vegan flavors! Love them.
– Nocciolata: What is better than a chocolate hazelnut spread? An organic, all natural, chocolate hazelnut spread, offered to you by a charming Italian gentleman. This spread was delicious and it is the real deal. The company, Rigoni Di Asiago has been making honey, jams and fruit spreads from Asiago, Italy for over 90 years now. How can an authentic Italian brand NOT make the perfect chocolate spread? To be honest we have tried many different chocolate spreads and this one is by far is one of the best!
– Enjoy Life: Can I just say how difficult it is to find good, dairy free chocolate, that is not waxy or super sweet, easy to melt, delicious and still tastes like chocolate? Well ladies and gentleman the wait is over! We have finally found all of the above. Plus, it’s nut, gluten and soy free, kosher parve and vegan. I know what you are thinking..how could it be “free” of all that and still taste good? Enjoy Life has done it. They have created some of the best dairy free chocolate ever!! It is not too sweet, easy to melt and perfect for baking. We promise you’ll love it….you won’t believe us until you try it!
We absolutely recommend you give these products a try. Hope you love them as much as we do!
WE HAVE NOT RECEIVED COMPENSATION FROM ANY OF THE COMPANIES MENTIONED ABOVE FOR THIS POST. ALL THE OPINIONS ARE OUR OWN.