We’re back! The past 10 days have been incredibly hectic to say the least. We had a Bar Mitzva to put together and our entire family came all the way from Spain and Israel to help out and celebrate with us.
We just love having them around and welcome the bit of craziness that comes with it! “Field trips” to grocery stores, mile long orders at coffee shops and restaurants and literally preparing food non stop!
But, as much as we’re enjoying it, it’s time to get it together and get back to work!
So let’s get to it, shall we? Here’s an easy, light and refreshing recipe to start…
- 4 small yellow zucchini
- 1 large green zucchini
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves of garlic, grated
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp black pepper
- ½ cup chopped basil
- 3½ tbsp raw pine nuts
- 1-2 tsp lemon zest (optional)
- Using a julienne peeler, cut long strips of zucchini, until you reach the seeded core (where it becomes too soft to peel). Reserve the cores to use in soups, stir fries, etc (See Note)
- Heat 1½ tablespoons of olive oil in a large non stick pan. Add zucchini, grated garlic, salt and pepper and cook at medium heat for 5-10 minutes ( the times depends on the texture you prefer. For firmer, “crunchier” zucchini, cook for less time). Remove from heat and place in a shallow bowl
- Add pine nuts to the pan and toast for 2-3 minutes until golden brown, tossing often (pay close attention to the pine nuts as they can easily burn!). Add to cooked zucchini
- Sprinkle chopped basil and lemon zest (if using) and drizzle remaining ½ tablespoon of olive oil
- Yellow zucchini strips made with a julienne peeler