For those of you not familiar with this fabulous site, SkinnyMs shares clean eating recipes that nourish the body, support healthy living and satisfy the taste buds. The site also provides the nutritional information for the recipes, along with healthy lifestyle and fitness tips.
So whether you’re trying to embrace a healthier lifestyle or simply need new ideas, SkinnyMs is an amazing resource definitely worth checking out!
Today, for our first guest post, we’re featuring one of their recipes, Quinoa Protein Bars, which we fell in love with the second we saw it. Sweetened with dates, packed with nutrients and healthy fats, they make a great midday snack or on the go breakfast.
- ⅓ cup quinoa, pre-rinsed
- ⅔ cup water
- 16 whole (pitted) dates, no sugar added
- ½ cup raw almonds, with skin
- ⅓ cup natural crunchy peanut or almond butter
- ¼ cup gluten free dark chocolate chips
- Add quinoa and water to a small sauce, cover and bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cook approximately 15 minutes or until all water has been absorbed. Cool to room temperature and refrigerate at least 2 hours (overnight will work)
- Using a food processor, add dates and pulse until they form a ball (if they’re too dry, add about a tablespoon of water). Remove dates and place in a medium mixing bowl.
- Add almonds to the food processor and pulse until finely minced. Be careful not to turn the almonds into mill. Add dates, almonds, peanut butter and cold quinoa to the food processor and pulse until ingredients are well combined.
- Return ingredients to the mixing bowl and shape into 6 – 2″ x 1″ bars, about 1″ thickness or into approximately 24 balls (about 1 tablespoon each). Set aside in the refrigerator.
- In the meantime, melt chocolate chips in the microwave or over a double boiler. Spread melted chocolate over the top and refrigerate until set
- Bars can be stored in an airtight container for several days.
ENJOY! From May I have that recipe